A Philippine Star article opened thus:
“Having four Abads in government does not bother President Aquino.
“Mr. Aquino vouched for his Budget Secretary Florencio “Butch” Abad Jr.’s integrity during a chance interview… He said Abad underwent the same vetting as all candidates to government posts did, and reminded journalists that the Cabinet member has yet to be accused of any wrongdoing in any of the posts that he had handled.
The piece goes on to say the following, and take note of the HUGE roles of the Abads.
- Butch Abad served as LP campaign manager.
- Butch’s daughter Julia served as Noynoy’s chief of staff when he was senator, and now heads the Presidential Management Staff (PMS).
- Julia is also in charge of the President’s Social Fund (or presidential pork barrel) – estimated at P500 million A YEAR.
- Butch’s son Luis is chief of staff of former Hyatt 10er, the wily Cesar Purisima, who is now Finance Secretary.
- The wife of Luis, Henedina, is a representative of Batanes and is said to be “interested in becoming the vice chair of the House appropriations committee.”
P-Noy continues: “First of all, I don’t think we violated any law. Second, I think they have proven their worth,” Mr. Aquino said. “To critics who would not want to give a honeymoon period, salamat na lang (thank you).”
Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda meanwhile said: “Their competence (the Abads’) will prove them; their integrity will prove them. President Aquino trusts them. You must remember, when you’re choosing Cabinet members, you have to have the trust and confidence of the President.”
All I hear is yada-yada. It’s all elementary, though.
What can you expect from a president who is himself the product of nepotism and blind loyalty? Is it really much of a surprise that this cloistered and sheltered man now has problems of finding competent individuals to man his cabinet outside of the familiar fawning faces that had sucked at his yellow teats?
A monopoly of power from the Republic of Oligarchies. Figures.